MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
24 April 2024, 23:37:05
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Left 4 Dead
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 8769 times)
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« on: 22 December 2008, 03:31:57 »

Anyone else play Valve's latest epic game made upon the same engine as all of their other epic games?
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2008, 03:47:27 »

Yeah, I have it on my PC, installed as a Steam product.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2008, 10:49:54 »

It's about zombies, that's all I know. Any good? Does it capture the atmosphere?

White Shadow
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2008, 20:51:27 »

Yes and yes.
It's great, it's got running zombies and even flying zombies.
So yeah, the good kind of zombies.
After going through the creator commentary I learned a lot of the artistic things about the game, and they actually all work great. It's a wonderful experience. There's a hell of a lot of dialogue, somethin' about you can play through the game some large, arbitrary number of times without hearing the same conversation between the survivors at certain points in the game. The music's neat too, instead of just helping you feel an emotion at points the game actually makes you feel the emotion it wants you to feel without it feeling forced. For example, when a witch is near (a witch is an infected which was once an attractive girl that seems to be very depressed for some reason, maybe 'cause she's now ugly or somethin'.) you'll hear her crying, because the witch is very dangerous you might feel nervous but if you're experienced you'll maybe not feel that way, but due to the music that plays whenever a witch is around it is almost impossible not to feel some amount of anxiety. The game also utilizes lighting effects to invoke feelings of safety, fear, isolation, and despair. It all melds together for a pretty rich emotional experience.
It might possibly be the first co-op game that gets it right. Working with others is mandatory, nonnegotiable, and doesn't feel tacked on. It gets it right and it gives you a feeling of togetherness and dependency even if you're playing with annoying, 13 year old strangers.
Anyboo, it's awesome, play it.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2008, 21:18:00 »

Co-op is mandatory? Ugh. I really wanted to play this game but now I'm not even going to bother.

I can't stand co-op.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2008, 21:21:28 »

It's not too hard to be a team player.
You just have to shoot and stuff endangerin' your pals and they'll do the same for you.
Sometimes they'll give you something that they don't need when you need it and it's a nice gesture to give 'em something when they need it.
It's not too hard.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2008, 21:24:37 »

Co-op is the entire idea of the game. You absolutely need everyone else and they need you or you can't function at all. I've heard the game is only OK, in the end though. It ends up getting kind of ho hum after a while. I haven't tried it and I only kind of want to.

Flying zombies is a ridiculous idea.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2008, 21:29:49 »

They don't really fly, it's just a long jump.
It's actually pretty neat when it happens.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2008, 09:27:14 »

I'm afraid of running zombies so this game gives me the creaps when I'm playing it.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2008, 01:15:52 »

Don't be a pussy. ^_^
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2008, 01:58:25 »

This is such a fantastic game.

I wish I still had my XBox hooked up to an internet connection so I could play it online again.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2008, 02:32:11 »

Lunche agrees with me in a situation in which the majority doesn't!?
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2008, 02:43:53 »

Who said it was bad?

I'm not a fan of shooting games, but I looked up some gameplay videos and I can at the very least understand the appeal of this game. Not ever knowing what's around the corner really asks more from on-the-spot strategizing and skill rather than memory, and that's pretty cool. Not to say that it's an entirely new concept, but I'm not going to say that it's a bad thing if it isn't.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2008, 09:25:00 »

All I can say is this.

Anyone who doesn't think this is a good game, if not extremely well made game, simply has not played it.

I was weary of it for a few reasons:

1. Mandatory co-op
2. First Person Shooter (I'm not a fan of them, to be honest, but Valve made that genre fun for me)
3. Horror games usually suffer from #####ty lighting, such as not being able to see #####.

The co-op, even with just you and three computer characters, is actually really really fun. Team work is stressed from the get go, and the game teaches you how to play right away. No annoying 5 hour tutorial.

For , maybe the first time, the first person aspect, had me really immersed in the game.

The first time I came across the witch, or got pounced on by a hunter, or grabbed by a Smoker, or that first time a Tank came busting through a wall, making me, audibly, ell "What the ##### is that?!".

Though, let me just say, for as nice as the AI is, playing with three other humans is better.

And of course, the lighting is perfect for the game, Valve took extra care in programming that bit.

Versus is tons of fun, as strategics are important to both teams. Save for the Zombies, it isn't so much a question of "Okay, how do we get through this level in one piece?", it's "How do we make sure the survivors get ripped to pieces?".

Like I said before, the AI isn't perfect, and will annoy the hell out of you as you get better at the game.

But like I said earlier, anyone who doesn't have anything good to say about this game, simply has not played it.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2008, 19:19:35 »

Exactly.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2008, 03:33:07 »

I want this game now. And now I can actually afford it.

I was gonna pick up the Orange Box, now I want this... Valve is pretty good. Seems I'll be playing alot of their games this holiday break...
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 26 December 2008, 04:42:59 »

And you'll be playin' 'em with me, right?
Well... Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 at least, right?
I still have to snag me a copy of the Orange Box first, but rest assured I'm gonna get me one.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2008, 00:54:46 »

I would play this game with you guys and never talk.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2008, 01:23:57 »

I'll eventually get Left 4 Dead for PC next. Not 360. Don't have Live, so it's not worth it.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 4 January 2009, 03:49:00 »

I'll eventually get Left 4 Dead for PC next. Not 360. Don't have Live, so it's not worth it.

Live isn't expensive, nor does it need to be installed or anything.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 4 January 2009, 06:45:29 »

The problem isn't the money.

My brother has Live on his account for his 360 at home and he gets tons of use out of it.

My 360 at school... well, the only way to hook up my 360 to the internet is to unplug both myself and my roommate's laptop internet connections due to a horrible room set-up. I'm also not a big online gamer, and I'm pretty sure I never will be.

It's not worth it to me to get Live and go through all that trouble just to play one game that I think I might like, when I could get the same game for the PC where I'm always connected to the internet and don't have to spend another $60 that I won't get my full moneys-worth out of.

When I get an apartment next year (or IF I do, as it's looking now), I'm going to give Live a serious try without all the complications.

Basically, I don't care to play Rock Band or Guitar Hero online, and games like Banjo-Kazooie have small minigame-based multiplayer, and you'll rarely catch me playing things like Halo or Call of Duty let alone playing them online.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 4 January 2009, 20:57:01 »

Run Live through your laptop. Instructables.com has ways to do it, which I how I run the internet on XBox 360 through my Mac. However some of the methods make it impossible to sync your PC with your XBox, although I don't really see the point of that anyway.

I don't have a Gold membership because I won't even be able to use my Silver one much.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 4 January 2009, 22:48:16 »

Silver's free, anyway.

And I'll look into that. If it's using any sort of cord, though... no way. My laptop and 360 are across the center of the room from one another, heh.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 5 January 2009, 00:12:06 »

The ethernet cord is pretty long but if you have wireless in your place at all you might be able to use that.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 5 January 2009, 01:03:05 »

I'll figure it out if I ever choose to give it a try. For now, I don't care so much.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #25 on: 1 February 2009, 17:24:07 »

Picked it up. Good stuff.

White Shadow
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 1 February 2009, 22:27:20 »

You doubted my words?
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 1 February 2009, 22:37:06 »

I hope you'll forgive him, as it's normally the right choice.

Kuchiri
Noob

« Reply #28 on: 8 July 2009, 07:20:58 »

So since there were talks about AI in here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmgw9pfkI4

Also, I need some buddies for this game. lol
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #29 on: 8 July 2009, 22:24:35 »

Its a good game, but after a while I grew bored of it.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2009, 00:04:12 »

I've been playing it on the PC recently. As long as you got people to play with in good supply, the game (pc version) has a lot of replay value, with all the custom maps and such.
xXZDeadpoolZXx
Noob

« Reply #31 on: 20 October 2010, 09:36:48 »

I agree with TheOnly. I love the L4D games but after awhile they tend to get boring. The only thing that keeps it more alive is the Versus mode.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Left 4 Dead
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string