MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
14 December 2017, 17:49:39
Radio (OFFLINE)Gallery (OFFLINE)MBoardRegisterLog In
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

on: 12 December 2017, 23:13:21 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by Majikn
It really pisses me off since one of the things I loved about the Switch carts at launch was that there were no mandatory installs when you insert a game. On the PS4 and Xbox One, you have to install the full game on your hard drive even if you bought physical. And yet we're still getting them anyway on the Switch from 3rd parties.

It can't be a question of capacity, can it? I mean with technology as it is, it seems hard to believe anything couldn't fit on those carts.

I was a bit disappointed to find out that the Switch wouldn't have a mechanism for patching their own carts. Imagine being able to buy DLC and just... having it on the same original cart you bought the game on. That could have been like a new golden age for the end user and game collectors. Maybe there are so many reasons that wouldn't work, but it seemed like such a good idea. I don't mind expansions but I know I'm not the only one who appreciates a time when you only have to buy a game once to have all of the content available for it, in one place, without having to wait an extended period of time just to buy some complete edition.

As to hand-drawn stuff I'll admit there seem to be very VERY few games that have actually pulled it off, but I always assumed that was for lack of effort. I dunno. I think for me it's just a consistency thing. I like Rayman Legends visually though; I think that's on the higher end of what I think you're talking about. When you say Newgrounds flash I'm immediately thinking of 20XX.

on: 12 December 2017, 13:17:51 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by TheRedPriest
I do not forgive.  I do not forget.

on: 12 December 2017, 09:28:48 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by White Shadow
...if I'm not making sense, Fire Emblem Heroes is a good example of what I mean. The little tiny sprites are cute and look decent enough, but the animations themselves for them look lazy and like flash animation.

They do. For hundreds of individual sprites, it's forgivable though, IMHO.

on: 11 December 2017, 22:20:27 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by NovaMan XP
I think the problem is when they draw the arms and legs as separate, slap them over the sprite body and then have the arms and legs rotate during animations instead of drawing each frame individually.

...if I'm not making sense, Fire Emblem Heroes is a good example of what I mean. The little tiny sprites are cute and look decent enough, but the animations themselves for them look lazy and like flash animation.

on: 11 December 2017, 20:13:38 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by Mikero
I'm not a huge fan of hand-drawn sprites, to be honest, but could make the action faster, that's true. They make every game look like a Newgrounds one to me and the way they animate and move in gameplay is not to my taste but it's fine. As long as they iron out the stiffness in this 2.5D stuff and maybe tweak the character design then I'm all good.

I'm surprised you feel this way. It never occurred to me that the amateur Newgrounds look might be something inherent to hand-drawn stuff. Did you feel that way about Wario Land for Wii?

It's funny, you'd think I would love hand-drawn anything right? There's something about this type of movement that doesn't feel right for me. Rayman Legends for example.

I just checked out Wariolan for Wii for the first time, it's a lot better than what I'm thinking of. Maybe it's a framerate thing? On the flip side I love how they combined hand-drawn animation with spritework for Street Fighter 3, for example. And framerate doesn't seem to bother me with sprites, like Sonic Mania.

It's some kind of valley of "too crisp and smooth" even though that should be a good thing. It makes some sort of dissonance in my brain, the game-world looks less cohesive.

on: 11 December 2017, 20:03:12 
Started by Snare - Last post by Mikero
... among the crosses row by row...

on: 11 December 2017, 01:34:57 
Started by Zenaku - Last post by Winged Warrior
We're glad the MMM was a reprieve for you Snare.

I can agree with this.

on: 10 December 2017, 22:20:01 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by NovaMan XP
It really pisses me off since one of the things I loved about the Switch carts at launch was that there were no mandatory installs when you insert a game. On the PS4 and Xbox One, you have to install the full game on your hard drive even if you bought physical. And yet we're still getting them anyway on the Switch from 3rd parties.

on: 10 December 2017, 19:23:00 
Started by NovaMan XP - Last post by TheRedPriest
Retail doesn't even mean retail anymore.  Look at Resident Evil Revelations Collection.  Half of it is digital.  LA Noir for Switch is literally unplayable from the cartridge unless you download the rest of the game code from online.  Not just extras or DLC or updates, but the base game.  They only put like 75% of the game on the cart.  That isn't a retail release.

And that's now the new challenge we will face.  If MMLC 1 and 2 only have one or two games on the cart and you have to download the rest, it's not a retail release, full stop.

I hope it all works out though.

on: 10 December 2017, 19:15:39 
Started by Snare - Last post by TheRedPriest
Son, that's something out of Resident Evil there.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10